Tuesday, June 12, 2012

XXXG-01W Wing Gundam



a very late review or more of a wip/showoff post of this 2010 model kit.

The Wing Gundam was the first Gundam series ever shown outside of Japan and started the craze on the west, and/or more likely the world.


The reasons why I bought this kit was, 
1. this was my entry for the GBWC 2011 for the straight build category + their Special Theme category (Wing was hot trend at the time)
2. it was about time also I should build my 2nd MG
3. this was also the first kit I did seamline removals.

now with all those said and done lets go and show off what I did on this kit, I will do this in order the manual told me to do so, even though I took a different order when building it

the chest or cockpit build was straight forward to say the least, with a fair amount of parts before I started on building this, I painted the clear part clear green (enamel) then the underside to the plastic chrome silver (acrylic) cause the sticker doesn't give justice to the look I wanted on this search eye.. made a slight mistake on the enamel paint as it was thicker than that I wanted it to be but well its already dry and it did at least 60% of my expectation so I moved on

same on the chest I painted the clear part clear green, then I attempted to blacken the sides of the eyes, but it didn't came out as I wanted and besides I didn't applied any LEDs on the part so I just used the stickers on the eyes, but screw the sticker on the camera on the forehead and nape since its already green.. all I can say the build is great, the vulcan was separated so if I ever planned to do something with it painting would be a breeze.. 


nothing too special on the arms just a straight forward build and panels here and there.. I glued the top part on the shoulder since I heard a lot of negative comments about it popping off occasionally, and since there was no need to pop it off, you knew what happened. As all of you already knew, that the hands only have a movable thumb, and the fingers are interchangeable depending on your needs, which was a good/bad idea cause they constantly pop off when you don't need it to pop off especially if it holds the gun or sword for some reason, and I can't glue it cause it will be stuck on on configuration if I do, so for me this was the weak point.
Contrary to the 1/100 HG that was released 17 years ago this doesn't have a swivel to hide the hands on the arm, which is good on my opinion as it added stability on the arms/feet  once it is on Bird Mode.


nothing too special with the feet, but I'm impressed with the details on it, with simple slide mechanisms that work especially on Bird Mode.

the legs has not that much parts as many experienced on previous MG models but again snug and stable mechanisms especially for the bird mode transformation, I also love the clean look of it compared to the panel lining hell on the HG years ago. 


simple construction on the waist area, similar to the other Wing kits except the Epyon of course it has a simple build, no swivel mechanism like the Impulse or Hi-v which is fine by me. the skirts swings upward also for the transformation.


I was impressed by the booster on the back the small boosters below moves independently and the pegs swings outward, great caution though I have a buddy that snapped his for some idiotic reason now it is fixed on a position (don't ask me what happened never bothered to ask)




to many this was the trademark of the suit as the reason why it is called Wing is because of its wings. got a bit of trouble constructing the wing as the sliding parts are a bit finicky especially with shaky hands plus got to discern if I'm gonna seal it right ahead or later on, but got it finished without breaking a part thankfully. 


Wing's trademark weapon the Buster Rifle, I loved what Bandai did with this as it has a swivel mechanism plus 3 individual rounds for the gun to mount, be careful though the pegs on the ammo can snap off easily as you might be forced to fix it if it snapped off, the green arrow shows the seam that i removed, though its still kinda visible but not that glaring as previously seen


now the shield, its iconic in its own right. as it serves as the nose in bird mode, it also holsters the beam saber inside, I also painted the clear part clear green since the sticker looks tacky and bad, the mechanism underside gives a solid hold on the arm regardless if its on the left or right.


and now the completed assembly it looks very good straight on, as I never applied the decals (I suck on it) plus the overall look was enhanced even with the minimalist of effort of work was done


aerial pose! even with a basic action base it looked good 


Bird Mode, probably the only time I will do this as even though it looks good, I am not fond with this as much as the next guy

now I don't have much action poses with this guy as my current set-up is not suitable for photoshoot of any kind but you can check ever o'l reliable Dalong for the articulation and other whatnot of this guy


my entry see that it can stand on that pose with no problems whatsoever, 

all in all this kit is good build, stable for a transforming kit, and worth every penny spent ..

well gang till then 

ErazEr out

4 comments:

  1. do you think that this is better than the katoki one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion yes in a sense of stability and posability because the Ver.Ka has difficulty holding on to its Buster Rifle and if you manage to make it hold the gun the arms will fall down due to weight issues, plus the legs are not that stable enough to carry its own weight, unlike this one..

      but if you go on the artistic approach the Ver.ka is better, due to the amount of details and decals they gave you.. something this lacked but not much a biggie on my opition

      Delete
  2. In my opinion yes in a sense of stability and posability because the Ver.Ka has difficulty holding on to its Buster Rifle and if you manage to make it hold the gun the arms will fall down due to weight issues, plus the legs are not that stable enough to carry its own weight, unlike this one..

    but if you go on the artistic approach the Ver.ka is better, due to the amount of details and decals they gave you.. something this lacked but not much a biggie on my opition

    ReplyDelete
  3. you just wasted your master grade kit looks like CRAP!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Aile Strike Gundam